I tasted tomato soup on the first day of my move to Warsaw (Poland). To be honest, we did not become friends, and for a very long time, everywhere I refused to eat or even try “zupy pomidorowej” (tomato soup). It so happened that having got a husband from Poland and living far from home – in hot Dubai – willy-nilly I want to please my husband with the tastes from his childhood. The creamy soup I made exceeded all my expectations. Now we are friends :).
Creamy tomato soup with yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- Sprig of thyme
- 2 kg tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) boiling water
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) single cream
- 2/3 cup (150 g) sour cream or yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Boil.
- Cover with the water and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, and remove the thyme sprig. Mix everything with a blender until smooth.
- Heat the cream in a separate saucepan and pour into the soup.
- Pour the finished soup into plates. Top each plate with sour cream or yogurt and garnish with cilantro.