Today’s dish is the fast but successful cooking experiment of me and my husband. He was frying the fish, I was responsible for the sauce. We have worked both in unison that gave an impressive result. Golden sardines with crispy skin covered by aromatic tomato sauce full of flavor and texture just an amazing light and healthy option for your dinner. Bon appetite! Wish you all a tasty mood!
Fried fish with tomato sauce with capers
- 8 small fishes (sardines or any white fish)
- 4 tbsp flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
- 50 ml sushi seasoning
- 2 tbsp Japanese cooking sauce (Mizkan Honteri Mirinfu)
- 2 tbsp marinated capers, drained
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Mint leaves for decoration
- For the sauce, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, a pinch of salt, and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add sushi seasoning, Japanese cooking sauce Honteri, tomatoes and bay leaves. Season with salt and black pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 15 min or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place flour in a shallow bowl and season. Dip pieces of fish in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Place enough oil in a large frying pan to coat the base of the pan and heat over medium heat. Fry fish each side or until golden and cooked.
- Drain fish on paper towel, then transfer to a plate. Spoon over the sauce, decorate with mint leaves.